Wednesday 11 June 2008

GFW catwalk show: UCCA Epsom

As mentioned on Monday, Epsom is my old stomping ground (at least, as far as university goes), so I always make a point of checking out what they're up to, and make sure I've got a good spot at the catwalk show. Situated a stone's throw (if you call 30 minutes on a train a throw's length) from London, Epsom is nevertheless a market town and have to admit on arrival was underwhelmed by the location. Since I graduated the town has had something of a boomtime, but if it's still as it was when I left, the upside of going to college somewhere like Epsom is that the camaraderie between students is tight (not least because if there's a party everyone's there) and the lecturers attentive without mollycoddling.
The catwalk show presented a good mix, from the more stark to the frivolous, but the cut, finish and attention to detail was pretty consistent. Every year, the textile element of the design becomes more accomplished -something which I feel is an imperative of good design.
...design highlights to follow...

No comments: