Thursday 5 June 2008

Switching on to SATC - the pilot...

Given SATC fever is taking over a cinema near you, TV has inevitably jumped on the bandwagon and is showing every episode since time began. Nothing so simple as just showing in consecutive order, Paramount is running top ten SATC episodes, presented by a glossed-up-for-LA Cat Deeley. Last night, while appropriately enough knocking back the vino with an old friend, we happened across the pilot episode - I guess that would be what, circa 1997? Feel free to correct me...
So it definitely had the hallmarks of a successful franchise, but my goodness didn't everyone look bad in the 90s? SJP's make-up, as Carrie Bradshaw was that harsh, slightly grey 'real' skin look which I remember sporting very well - slightly dusky pink but neutral lipstick, eyes a little too dark, too made-up. The characters had a disconcerting habit of talking to the camera, rather than the current mode of thinking aloud, which is much more straighforward(!). The where were the clothes? There was some highs and lows, but overall the pilot didn't really push it as hard as in the full-on series. I imagine if a SATC uber fan were reading this they would be able to tell me the history of the styling - perhaps that is something to revise today! But overall, it was rawer than it became, but I think that is perhaps a natural progression as the characters' lifestyles evolved and moved forward. I think I am officially a rebirthed SATC fan and will have to get myself a DVD boxed set and a free weekend, and really settle down to study hard!

No comments: