Wednesday 4 June 2008

'Carried away' to the SATC 'Yes' camp

Like all good fashionistas, I have been awaiting the launch of Sex And The City: The Movie, with bated breath. If I am honest, I was never a screaming, on-my-knees SATC fan, but the later series did hook me in, and let's face it, the clothes do make good eye candy.
Committing myself to a popcorn supper and cocktails to wash it down, I met with a good friend at the Clapham Picture House after work last night. I wasn't sure what to expect, but in all honesty had set my expectation levels fairly low as wasn't in the mood to be disappointed. Let's just say that I had to hold off blogging my thoughts til this morning as I felt such a rush of euphoria, and such love for all my friends upon leaving the cinema that I was concerned I might gush off the page...
So I lost count of the wardrobe changes within the first ten minutes of the film, and just resigned myself to sitting back and letting the film wash over me. So, as I also don't want to give any plotline away, this won't be a minute-by-minute breakdown, but I will say that it is well worth a viewing, despite the occasional schmaltzy elements. The publicity machine at HBO managed the pre-publicity well as, really, nothing has been given away - the story still has everything to play for and although you kind of guess how it will all pan out at the end fairly early on, at no point to you feel cheated by the path they all take.
No doubt you will have read some reviews suggested the protagonists - all female, all successful, all powerful, all viviacious - are past it, or not gorgeous enough. In my view, the power and strength of what these four characters (Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, Miranda) represent - a friendship bond unbroken by any of the men or events which circle around them, is too frightening for some people to contemplate. The fact that SJP and the others played a pivotal role in getting the series and then the film off the ground, and the fact that they rarely play the media game how some might like them too is probably more scary still. I say that these characters are, in fact, inspiring; who says that once you're 40 you're past it? If that's the case then 50% of women might as well give up now. I refuse to believe that in a decade's time I can no longer drink, dress up, have a career or whatever I want to do because people will frown on me. I choose to see some elements of the SATC characteristics as inspiring and hope that when I am in my 40s I will be still as pro-active and look that good because of, not in spite of, my age.
Writing in the Guardian, Hadley Freeman very succinctly wrote about the issues around Sarah Jessica Parker and the SATC franchise - far more eloquently put than my minor rant here - and the fact that the media and people in general seem so prepared to vilify her for her looks or whatever, but in fact why aren't we celebrating the success of a child-turned-adult actress, with her feet on the ground, a autonomous career and a fab wardrobe to boot?
Something to think about anyway. I will end by saying again that it is well worth a trip - 5/5 at least - and, beyond but including the fashion, see what questions it throws up in your mind.

No comments: